Light and electricity are two of humanity’s most basic needs. Thousands of people in Congo, particularly school-aged children, utilize kerosene lanterns and open-flame candles at night owing to a shortage of electricity. Carbon monoxide, which is toxic to humans, is produced by the flames of lanterns and candles. Furthermore, the fires have already ravaged property and lives. As a result, one of our Buddy2Buddy Solar projects is to provide students and others with sustainable and safe solar-powered lights.
Candles, and kerosene lanterns used by people and especially kids not only result in tragic fires but also have a drastic impact on their eyesight, and lungs. Also, the fuel costs deplete the family resources, and these fuels and flames both result in fires too.
With the support of the Greater Springfield Rotary Club, Australian school students from Staines Memorial College, and Redback Plains High School, this initiative supplies the people of Congo with solar panels, which are safe, environmentally beneficial, cost-effective, and sustainable sources of light. These panels capture solar energy and utilize it to generate power that people, particularly students, may use at night to study and complete other critical tasks without endangering their health or vision.